The “Keto” diet has taken the nation by storm and is the latest fad diet as it pertains to weight loss. Let’s start out with a basic definition to ensure we are on the same page. Keto is short for ketosis, which is the term used when the body uses fat for fuel as opposed to glucose (sugar). (As a side note, there are other ways to go into a ketogenic state, such as intermittent fasting-my personal favorite- but that’s another blog post…)
Although for the sake of simplicity I’ve written this as, “Five bulleted reasons that the Keto Diet is NO GOOD” just to scratch the surface, it could more accurately be described as “Five overlapping nightmares that, together, create the perfect storm.”
Five Reasons That The Keto Diet Is NO GOOD
- Animal flesh is a main course in most meals on this diet. This presents a few challenges: It is difficult to digest, loaded with harmful bacteria (which is most often NOT killed by cooking), hard on the kidneys and extremely acidifying to the body. Since this issue overlaps with others, keep reading for more details.
- Dairy, specifically cheese, is another regular part of most keto meals. Dairy is one of the most common foods that people are sensitive or allergic to. It increases mucous production, sinus issues, constipation and digestive challenges. It takes roughly 10 pounds of milk to make 1 pound of cheese. Because of its high concentration, this food is congesting to the entire body. Dairy offers ultimately no value, despite the propaganda, to the body but causes many problems.
- Digestion is a key factor when it comes to over all health and weight loss. Digestion is both the breaking down and assimilation of food as well as the elimination of waste. Meat and dairy are both difficult to digest (that is for sure), which can increase gas, bloating and constipation. However, what is often over looked is that digestion is not just about the GI tract—It also involves the liver and gallbladder. Keep reading…
- The liver and gallbladder work together to digest fat and detoxify the body (just to name a couple of their primary jobs). Although meat and dairy don’t appear to directly spike the blood sugar, there is a strong correlation with increased animal product consumption and Type 2 Diabetes. This is also in part why we are seeing an epidemic of NAFLD (non-alcoholic fatty liver disease). The keto diet is high in fat and animal products, which most peoples’ liver/gallbladder’s just cannot keep up with in the long run. A congested liver and gallbladder is a key factor for most disease. (This is especially important to note for those who have already had their gallbladder removed.)
- Your pH refers to the acid/alkaline levels in the body. (This can be tested in blood, urine, saliva, etc.). A diet rich in animal products is one factor that helps create an extremely acidic pH. This ultimately weakens the immune system as well as the bones. In my clinic I am seeing more and more people in a state of bone-loss than ever before… and it’s not just older women! Our new cells are created in the bones, so this is a major factor that will consistently undermine your efforts to become healthy or perhaps even lose weight.
If Keto is so problematic then why is it working for so many people and why is it so popular?
Let me answer this in two ways.
First, any diet that eliminates processed foods will have at least a temporary benefit for most people. The average American eats most meals in a highly processed form (bagels, breads, frozen meals, cereals, fast food and snacks like chips, cookies, donuts, etc.).
Second, in the long term, it’s NOT working. Here’s what I mean. I will not argue that people can lose weight on this diet; but although weight loss is important, we don’t want to lose weight at any cost. Who cares if you lose weight but it costs you your kidney function or your liver, gallbladder or bones?!
As to why it’s so popular… As a society, we tend to grab a hold of diets that allow us to eat what we already WANT TO EAT: a diet loaded with meat, cheese and butter fits that category for many. Too many people think that if they lose weight, that the diet must be good/working. But there’s WAY more to it!
The bottom line is—
There is solid research that nearly every disease is reversed or eliminated with a whole food, plant-based diet. Carbohydrates are not the enemy… there is a dramatic difference between a steamed sweet potato and an Oreo cookie… The keto diet treats them the same which is ludicrous.
If you hear nothing else, please hear this… I know the struggle. When you need to lose weight and feel like you’ve tried everything, it can be so exhausting to battle. Devastating. And even embarrassing at times. But remember, excess weight is a symptom, not a cause. That said, when you find the root cause, the weight will come off with less effort and will be more permanent. It’s key to love your body and love the weight away. The keto diet is a punishment to the body and the weight loss is never worth the organ damage that follows.
Plants are best. Whole food is best. Organic is best.
YOU are the treasure! Nourish your body accordingly.
Still not sure? Check out the research by clicking here:
Nothing said or implied in this post is intended to treat, cure, diagnose or prevent any disease. It does not take the place of a qualified health care practitioner and is intended for educational purposes only.